Friday, February 29, 2008

Portraits, Hindu Festivals, and Rice Fields


There is a saying that I learned in Hawaii, Aloha Kai, "love the water, love the land"
Taking the opportunity to respect these aspects of life and the world encompasses a soul to a fuller life, a fuller understanding of surroundings.  This said, the wave swell never came, or at least, isn't here yet.  What a great opportunity to visit the rice fields of Seminyak, Bali and go to a Hindu offering.  The rice fields feel like 110 degrees F. with 99% humidity.  All of the people that live in these areas show wrinkles of age aching for rest.  There is none.  Our driver said that if some of these people don't harvest rice or sell to chance visiting westerners, they don't eat.
At the Hindu temple, the children giggle and giggle at the thought of getting their photographs taken.  After every one, they want to see their faces on the back of my large digital camera screen.  The ladies here all introduce themselves to me, just as the book I just read - Eat, Pray Love - there are only 5 names in all of Bali.  The first that comes out, male or female is named Wayane, the second . . .etc.  Needless to say, it's easy to remember names around here.  Some develop nicknames, one lady was named "peanut" because she is always feeding peanuts to the monkeys, a guy we met was named "hero" but I couldn't quite figure out why through the language barrier.  I have decided, though that I love this name and I ever have a son his name will be Hero.